Preferring his house-licked, dub-fuelled rhythms to move from around 120 to 140BPM Jet works his life around music. Regularly laying down sets all over London, he was instantly identifiable for his irrepressible afro before he shaved it all off. Now barnet-ly streamlined and sonically focused, Jet is a man increasingly in demand. Working closely with 10sumo on a remix project for Warner Record’s one-to-watch Lianne La Havas, under the moniker ‘Ganggady’, the Ladbroke Grove based talent releases his debut EP this Summer via his co-founded GETME! imprint. Piecing together the material in his home studio and commissioning his mate Max Fowler to create the artwork, this EP is a culmination of Lett’s life work. With the new tracks displaying his passion and intelligent taste, Jet possesses the kind of slow-burning brilliance that’s soon to come good in a big way. i-D online caught-up with him after the crowds subsided at GETME!‘s event at Corsica Studios on Saturday, were he’d shared disc-spinning duties with Evian Christ, DJ Rashad and Spinn. Look right for his latest exclusive i-D mix and down for his words.
Is Jet Letts your real name? Yes. Have you just shaved your head? No a few months ago, change is good! What have you been up to? I’ve been in the studio working on my EP. Whats on your set list right now? I’m really feeling Jimmy Edgar’s new album and also Moodyman’s last joint. Tracks I’m playing a lot are Hackman’s ’Agree to disagree‘ and Ossie’s ‘Supercali’. And in your backpack? At the moment vinyl. I’ve recently heavily got back into it having gone digital for a few years. What releases have GETME! records got planned for 2012? A new EP from Slime is next up.
The fifty first in our series of guest mixes comes from 100% Silk signing, Fort Romeau. a side project of La Roux keyboard player, Mike Norris. Go check out his debut LP, Kingdoms.
Track listing : N/A
Track listing :
1. St James Park intro
2. John Talabot – So Will Be Now (feat Pional)
3. Maurice Donovan – Call My Name
4. XXXY – I Know This Can’t Be Love
5. T. Willams – Can We (feat Terri Walker)
6. Elgato – Luv Zombie
7. Black Orange Juice – Back Of My Car (Ossie remix)
8. Radiohead – Bloom (Jamie XX rework part 3)
9. Scuba – Dsy Chn
10. Kwes – Bashful
11. Evian Christ – MYD
12. Sepalcure – Pencil Pimp
13. Peaking Lights – Marshmellow Yellow / Amazing and Wonderful (Main Attrakionz remix)
14. Pearson Sound – Untitled
15. Hot Chip – Night and Day (Daphni remix)
16. Dark Sky – F Tecnology
17. Ill Blu – Clapper
18. Untold – Luminous
19. Anstam – Whiskey
20. oOoOO – Break Yr Heartt
21. DJ Screw – Have You Ever
“I am not a person, I’m just verses stuck inside your head.” Our friends at Merok release Haleek’s upcoming EP Oxyconteen on June 14th.
The fiftieth in our series comes from Dublin’s GOODTIME. John Cowhie’s “The Colour of Darkness” LP pinpoints a sophisticated and unique Irish talent, go buy it. Enjoy.
Track listing :
1. Moondog – Ostrich Feathers Played On Drum
2. Actress -I Can’t Forgive You
3. Darkside – A2
4. El Perro Del Mar – Change of Heart
5. Chromatics – These Streets Will Never Look the Same
6. Badlands – A New Day
7. Tropics – Going Back
8. John Talabot – Destiny feat. Pional
9. GOODTIME – One Shot (David Kitt’s Different Dream Mix)
10. Jim Sulliavn – Plain As Your Eyes Can See
11. Mount Eerie – BetweenTwo Mysteries
Slime has remixed the large talent that is Lianne La Havas. We look forward to releasing his “Increases II” EP in June.